Serves about 4 to 5 people
- About 5 lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs. Quartered and cleaned.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons of fresh minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric (if your want a yellower color, add an extra half teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon red chili flake
- 1 and 1/2 stick unsalted butter cut into pieces.
- 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 small jar pizza sauce, I know it sounds crazy but it adds so much depth to the flavor.
- 3 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 small container of heavy cream.
In a small bowl mix together the: garlic, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, red chili flake, some salt and pepper with 2-3 tablespoons of cold water.
Turn your instant pot to sauté. Add half a stick of butter that has been cubed and melt. Once the butter starts to boil add the spice mixture and sauté about three minutes. Next add the chicken and coat well.
Incorporate the tomato sauce, pizza sauce, and sugar into the pot and stir to mix well. If it feels a bit chunky, don’t worry when it’s pressure cooked a lot of liquid will be released to create plenty of sauce.
Lock your lid and follow your manufacturer’s instructions for manual pressure for ten minutes. Allow to natural release for 15 minutes then perform a quick release.
Once all the pressure has been released, allow a moment to reduce on the sauté setting and then add in the heavy cream and remaining butter.
Serve this dish hot with some delicious naan, see my other recipe here.
Optional, add cilantro at serving for a fresh aromatic experience!
I also recommend serving this dish with an acidic drink, a lemonade, or wine would go nicely, something fresh to allow the fat of this dish to be cut and not overwhelming.