This recipe is a favorite for any gathering of people who enjoy molten cheese, calories, and a healthy kick of spice and fun. This recipe originally came to me from a dear friend’s mother, thank you for sharing Pam!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-5 fine diced jalapeños, seeds and white ribs inside removed
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs of butter
- Cumin to taste
- 1 large can of Diced Green Ortega Chiles
- 1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chop the leaves
- 1 can Diced Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes of your choice
- 1 2lb box of Velveta Cheese, cut into chunks
In a large pot sauté the chopped onions, jalapeños and garlic with the butter until tender. Add the cumin, Ortega chiles, cilantro and both cans of tomatoes.
Bring this to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes. Lower the temperature to low to medium low. Add the Velveeta a few blocks at a time allowing it to melt. Do not boil the Velveeta. Keep the temperature low and steady.
To Serve: Either keep warm over a double boiler with barely simmering water, or warm occasionally in the microwave. Do not put it in the crock pot, this will cause the texture to get grainy and unappetizing. But don’t worry, it won’t stick around long enough to reheat. If there is by chance left overs, seal in a container and keep in the fridge up to 5 days, and reheat on the stove on low as needed.